1 an ionic compound that resists changes in its pH
2 an inclined metal frame at the front of a locomotive to clear the track [syn: fender, cowcatcher, pilot]
3 (computer science) a part of RAM used for temporary storage of data that is waiting to be sent to a device; used to compensate for differences in the rate of flow of data between components of a computer system [syn: buffer storage, buffer store]
4 a power tool used to buff surfaces [syn: polisher]
5 a cushion-like device that reduces shock due to contact [syn: fender]
6 an implement consisting of soft material mounted on a block; used for polishing (as in manicuring) [syn: buff]
1 add a buffer (a solution); "buffered saline solution for the eyes"
- Someone or something that buffs.
- A solution used to stabilize the pH (acidity) of a liquid.
- A portion of memory set aside to store data, often before it is sent to an external device or as it is received from an external device.
- (mechanical) Anything used to maintain slack or isolate different objects.
- A routine or storage medium used to compensate for a difference in rate of flow of data, or time of occurrence of events, when transferring data from one device to another.
- An isolating circuit, often an amplifier, used to minimize the influence of a driven circuit on the driving circuit.
- In international relations, a buffer zone (such as a demilitarized zone) or a buffer state.
portion of memory in computing
- Croatian: međuspremnik
- Mandarin: (huǎnchōngqì)
- French: tampon
- German: Puffer
- To use a buffer or buffers; to isolate or minimize the effects of one thing on another.
- To store data in memory temporarily.
- comparative of buff
Buffer can refer to:
- Buffer state, a country lying between two potentially hostile greater powers, thought to prevent conflict between them
- Buffer zone, any area that keeps two or more other areas distant from one another, may be demilitarized
- Buffer (rail transport), a device that cushions the impact of vehicles against each other
- Buffer stop (bumper in U.S.), a device to prevent railway vehicles from going past the end of a section of track
- Recoil buffer, an accessory for firearms, to cushion the impact of recoil
- Film loop, isolates intermittent motion in a movie projector
- Buffer (navy), the colloquial term for the senior seaman sailor in a (British Commonwealth) Navy ship
- Buffer wheel, a wheel attached to a motor similar to a pedestal grinder used to smooth and polish metals and other materials
- Buffer, a non "traveler" (gypsy), from "the Riches" FX tv show.
- Buffer solution, a solution which resists change of pH upon addition of small amounts of acid or base, or upon dilution
- Buffering agent, the weak acid or weak base in a buffer solution
- Buffer gas, an inert or nonflammable gas
- Lysis buffer, in biochemistry, a destructor of cell membranes that enables analysis of the compounds within
- Mineral redox buffer, a mineral assemblage which stabilises oxidation state in natural rock systems
In electronics and computer science:
- Data buffer, memory used to temporarily store output or input data
- Buffer (telecommunication), a routine or storage medium used to compensate for a difference in rate of flow of data between devices
- Optical buffer, a device that stores optically transmitted data without converting it to the electrical domain
- Buffer amplifier (also sometimes simply called a buffer), an isolating circuit used in electronics or telecommunications
- Buffer (optical fiber), a component used to encapsulate one or more optical fibers in a fiber optic communication cable
- Buff (MMORPG terminology), common title for abilities which primary function is to enhance other character's abilities (most often in some magic way).
buffer in Danish: Buffer
buffer in German: Puffer
buffer in Spanish: Buffer
buffer in French: Buffer
buffer in Hebrew: Buffer
buffer in Dutch: Buffer
buffer in Japanese: バッファー
buffer in Korean: 버퍼
buffer in Polish: Bufor
buffer in Russian: Буфер
buffer in Swedish: Buffert
T square, aegis, annul, antacid, antidote, arch dam, arm guard, awl, backstop, bale breaker, bamboo curtain, bank, bar, barrage, barrier, battering ram, bear-trap dam, beaver dam, bevel, bevel square, bodkin, boom, bradawl, brattice, breakwater, breastwork, brick wall, bring to nothing, buff, buffer state, bulkhead, bulwark, bumper, calender, calipers, cancel, cancel out, cant hook, caulking iron, center punch, chamois, cloison, cofferdam, collision mat, come to nothing, contraceptive, copyright, counteractant, counteractive, counteragent, counterbalance, counterirritant, crash helmet, crowbar, cushion, dam, dashboard, defense, diaphragm, dibble, dike, dissepiment, ditch, dividers, dividing line, dividing wall, division, dodger, drag, earthwork, edger, electric sander, electric soldering iron, embankment, face mask, fence, fender, file, finger guard, flail, foot guard, forceps, fork, frustrate, fuse, gate, glazer, goggles, goose, governor, grader, grapnel, grappling iron, gravity dam, grease gun, grindstone, groin, guard, guardrail, hand guard, handrail, hard hat, harrow, hawk, helmet, hook, hydraulic-fill dam, insulation, interlock, interseptum, invalidate, iron, iron curtain, jack, jackscrew, jam, jetty, jointer, knee guard, knuckle guard, laminated glass, lathe, leaping weir, levee, level, life preserver, lifeline, lightning conductor, lightning rod, logjam, mangle, mask, mat, midriff, midsection, milldam, miter box, moat, mole, mound, mudguard, nail file, nail puller, negate, negativate, negative, neutralize, neutralizer, nose guard, nullifier, nullify, offset, pad, padding, palette knife, palladium, panel, parapet, paries, partition, party wall, patent, peavey, pilot, pincers, pinch bar, pitchfork, plane, planer, pliers, polisher, portcullis, press, preventative, preventive, property line, prophylactic, protective clothing, protective umbrella, puller, punch, punch pliers, puncheon, putty knife, ram, rammer, rampart, ramrod, remedy, ripping bar, roadblock, rock-fill dam, roller, rolling pin, safeguard, safety, safety glass, safety plug, safety rail, safety shoes, safety switch, safety valve, sander, screen, screwdriver, seat belt, seawall, separation, septulum, septum, shaper, shield, shin guard, shock pad, shutter dam, soldering iron, spatula, square, stapler, steamroller, stone wall, stultify, sun helmet, tackle, tamp, tamper, tamping pick, tap, thwart, tire iron, tire tool, tongs, trowel, tweezers, umbrella, undo, vise, vitiate, void, wall, weir, wicket dam, windscreen, windshield, work, wrecking bar, wringer